Monday, December 1, 2008

Puerto Azul's faded glory

I Googled Puerto Azul Beach Club and Resort Hotel.  I was curious what other folks think of the once famous coastal getaway in Ternate, Cavite. I got this from http://philippinebeach.blogspot.com/2005/11/puerto-azul-beach-resort-cavite.html

  "Just got back from an overnight escape to Vista de Loro in Puerto Azul. It has gone from a Philippine paradise to what looks like North Cemetary!!! Grasses were either uncut or dead... facilities have broken down... even the club house was in bad shape! Palicpican Beach was empty and looked deserted! Does any one have info on what happened to that entire Puerto Azul compound?"

My sentiments exactly.  Truth is, my wife and I just got back from Puerto Azul's Vista De Loro Heights.  Though the condominium buildings still look functional, it could use some major repairs in terms of facade paint.  If its trying to present itself as a Greek coastal town, then some refurbishing with repainting would do a world of good for its projected image. 

My family and I had great memories of the place.  My papa taught me how to play golf in Puerto Azul's championship-Arnold Palmer-course. Even if my golf games were consistently disastrous, my enjoyment of nature's harmony with modern architecture brought a sense of amazed wonder.  With the exception of the fairly well maintained golf course, the hotel villas, club houses and major facilities looked like an abandoned compound that is perhaps now inhabited by ghosts and elementals.  My father would've shaken his head and made the "tsk tsk tsk" sound had he been still alive to see what I just saw. 

My wife's excited giggles and bright smile were my only consolation.  Had Puerto Azul been restored to its glorious history of 20 years ago, she would've shrieked with pure excitement.  My wife can see great things out of the ordinary, beauty even, in things that once was considered great.  I keep learning that from her.



No comments: